Illegal cattle slaughter is illegal but rampant in India with Kerala & West Bengal as its sole ‘legal’ outposts. Earlier we’d covered cattle slaughter in Andhra Pradesh – and this is yet another report on slaughter continuing unabated despite a High Court Order.
In this report sent to the The Commissioner of the Rajahmundry Municipal Corporation, Gopal refers to the slaughter of Cattle taking place in slaughter house situated in Rajahmundry Municipal Corporation limits of East Godavari District – Slaughter of Cattle is clear violation of the existing Acts and the orders of the High Court of Judicature of Andhra Pradesh in WP.No.27963 of 2012 and PIL No.365 of 2013.
He refers to
- The Andhra Pradesh Prohibition of Cow Slaughter and Animal Preservation Act, 1977 (11 of 1977). The Andhra Pradesh Prohibition of Cow Slaughter and Animal Preservation Rules, 1980.
- Prevention of Cruelty to Animal (Slaughter House) Rules, 2001
(PCA) Slaughter House Amendment Rules, 2010.
- The Bio-Medical Waste (Management and Handling) Rules, 1998.
- The Environment (Protection) Act, 1986, (E.P.A.)
- High Court of Judicature of Andhra Pradesh in WP.No.27963 of 2012.
- The Municipal Corporation, Rajahmundry, Endorsement no. R.O.C.no.209/2012-A1, dated 30-03-2012.
- Letter from The Municipal Corporation, Rajahmundry, letter no. R.O.C.No.2012- A.D.M-0216-F1, dated 18-12-2012.
- Order from The Commissioner, Municipal Corporation, Rajahmundry, R.O.C.No.223/2009-F1, dated 17-10-2012.
- Letter from The Joint Director, Animal Husbandry, Kakinada, 4833/S.I/2012, dated 28-11-2012.
- High Court of Judicature of Andhra Pradesh in PIL.No.365 of 2013
- High Court of Judicature of Andhra Pradesh in W.P.No.28863 and W.P.No.28863 and 30927 of 2013.
- The Supreme Court of India, New Delhi, Civil original Jurisdiction W.P. (C) No. 309 of 2003, dated 27-08-2013.
And states that:
- The High Court of Judicature of Andhra Pradesh issued an order (Ref:5, cited above) that no illegal slaughtering of cattle should take place with out specific licence from the authorities, mentioned in the order (copy enclosed) but there is no attempt to stop slaughter by the authorities
- Alarmingly the letter refers to an RTI response by the Commission “You stated in your information, provided under Right to Information Act- 2005 that the slaughter house has been existing for the last 40 years. It is noticed in your (sic) that there is no regulation as far as the number of animals to be slaughtered per day. This is in clear contradiction of the number specified in the Act. It is mentioned that the Veterinary Doctor after observing the animals put a stamp as a token of permission, but no certificate is issued in this regard. This action on the part of Veterinary Doctor is in clear violation of the existing Acts.”
- The Veterinary Doctor was appointed to look after the slaughter house with effect from 01-10-2012 to 31-03-2013 but in your endorsement (Ref:8, cited above) that permission to run the slaughter house was given from 31-03-2012 itself. This clearly indicates that prior to 01-10-2012 no Veterinary Doctor was incharge of the slaughtering of the animals in slaughter house.
- The Rajahmundry Municipal Corporation permitted the running of the slaughter house as per the District Gazette No.32/2012, East Godavari District. Though no other gazette notification was issued later in this regard the slaughter house has been continuously running to date this continuity is quite irregular.
- In view of the irregularities in running the slaughter house, existing in Jampeta, Rajahmundry. Your are here by requested to close the slaughter house bearing assignment no. 1064011802 with immediate effect. Other wise this comes under contempt of court (Ref:5,10, cited above).
Legal action continues on this matter by Gopal R Surabathula & Animal Rescue Org. If you wish to lend support, they can be contacted on
Animal Rescue Org.
Off: Madhavapatnam Kakinada- 533 005
East Godavari District Andhra Pradesh India
Off: + 91 958 100 9000 + 91 958 100 6000