Cubbon Park (Kannada: ಕಬ್ಬನ್ ಪಾರ್ಕ್) is a 300 acre area in the middle of Bangalore (starts at the edge of M G Road). The park was created in 1870 by the then Chief Engineer Major General Richard Sankey (on who’s name is another Bangalore landmark – Sankey Tank). The park was originally called “Meade’s Park” after Sir John Meade, the acting Commissioner of Mysore. Was renamed for the 1st time as Cubbon Park, Sir Mark Cubbon the Commissioner of Mysore. Was renamed for the 2nd time as “Sri. Chamarajendra Park”, in memory of the 19th Century ruler of the state Sri Chamarajendra Wodeyar (1868 – 94). The name ‘Cubbon Park’ however stuck and stays in use.
On Tuesday night an alert was put out on The Voice of Stray Dogs’ Facebook page based on some information on the back of a newspaper article on dogs in Cubbon Park (Bangalore) that the resident stray dogs of Cubbon Park have been ‘relocated’. Rashna Lentin who stays close-by immediately responded that she will verify if indeed any stray resident dogs of Cubbon Park have been displaced. Early the enxt day she went to Cubbon Park to check on the dogs. Her finding was, and another person (Nehesh Poll who’s a daily pet walker at Cubbon Park confirms too) that all dogs are there. So the critical worry is addressed.
The best part however of these pictures is a sequence of pictures where a very poor, near destitute, woman comes with large packets of cooked rice for the dogs and they make a meal of it. She does that every day but is camera shy. Then for herself she asks for money to buy a cup of coffee! There ARE people who will put others before themselves!